I am a machine
mainly interested in online optimization,
bandit problems, and reinforcement learning theory. My general research
to bring theory and practice closer together by proving theoretical
performance guarantees of practical algorithms and making principled
learning algorithms more accessible to practicioners. In particular, I
am trying to find out whether there exist fundamental trade-offs
between computational and information-theoretic efficiency in machine
You might want to
out my CV to get
a better picture of what I've done professionally so
If you're not sure about how to pronounce my first name, trust me,
you're not alone; please check out this page. The short
story is that you basically have to forget about pronouncing the "l"
(i.e., "ly" pronounces as "y"), and both G's are hard (as in the
English word "get").
- I just came back from a workshop on the "Theoretical Foundations for Learning from Easy Data" organized at the Lorentz Center of Leiden (Netherlands). I gave a tutorial on all the known ways of going beyond worst-case performance guarantees in bandit problems. Check out the slides here! 2016. 11. 13.
- We are organizing EWRL 2016 on the weekend preceding NIPS 2016 in Barcelona with Vicenç and Csaba—please submit your recent work on Reinforcement Learning! 2016.
- All these years of reviewing finally paying off! I have received an "outstanding reviewer award" from ICML'16 and a "blue ribbon" for outstanding reviewing from IJCAI'16. 2016.
- New year, new papers! One at AISTATS 2016, another in JMLR. In other news, I'm attending the DALI'16 meeting again,
this time invited to speak at the Reinforcement
Learning workshop organized by Csaba and Yasin. 2016.
- Going to NIPS
2015! I have one
paper in the main program and am also invited to give a talk at the
Faster from Easy Data II workshop organized by Tim van Erven and Wouter Koolen.2015.
- This Fall, I will be joining the AI
group at the Universitat Pompeu
Fabra (Barcelona) as a postdoc supported by the UPFellows grant. 2015.
- Two papers accepted! One at COLT 2015, another
at the IEEE
Transactions on Information Theory. Preprints here.
- I will be serving on the program committee for ALT 2015.
It's a very good conference at a beautiful location, so please consider
submitting your work—I'm looking forward to reviewing some good papers!
- I got invited to the DALI'15 workshop on Learning Theory,
organized by Nicolň
Cesa-Bianchi and Ulrike
von Luxburg. 2015.
- I'm spending a few days at the University of Alberta
with my former advisors Csaba
and Andris before going to
NIPS. Also giving a talk about one of my NIPS papers! 2014. 12. 03.
- I gave a talk at the AI
group at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona. Fun times, thanks
for inviting me, Vicenç!
- Talk at the LSOLDM
2014 workshop! I saw some cameras around so there's probably gonna
be a video released soon. 2014.
- Three papers
accepted to NIPS 2014!
Head over to my publications
page to get a glimpse! 2014.
- New website