I am a machine
mainly interested in theoretical aspects of sequential decision making.
I mainly work on online optimization,
bandit problems, and reinforcement learning theory. My general research
to bring theory and practice closer together by proving theoretical
performance guarantees of practical algorithms and making principled
learning algorithms more accessible to practicioners.
You might want to
out my CV to get
a better picture of what I've done professionally so
If you're not sure
about how to pronounce my first name, please check
out this page.
story is that you basically have to forget about pronouncing the "l"
(i.e., "ly" pronounces as "y"), and both G's are hard (as in the
English word "get").
bandits be my weaknesses
His fault shall be my knife"
- Nico (1974)
- I am the recipient of the first Bosch AI Young Researcher Award! 2019. 10. 31.
- Heading to NeurIPS 2019!
I have two papers in the main program with brilliant coauthors, plus
I'll be serving as one of the two Social Chairs this year along with Maria Skoularidou. In completely unrelated news, you can now find me on Twitter! 2019. 09. 12.
- Together with Aryeh Kontorovich, I will be serving as one of the program chairs of ALT'20! The conference is set to take place in San Diego, USA, February 8-11, co-located with ITA'20. Please consider contributing to this rapidly growing conference by submitting your work before the deadline on September 20, 2019! 2019. 06. 22.
- Our paper with Wojciech on Bandit PCA is accepted to COLT'19! 2019. 04. 19.
- I received a Google Faculty Research Award! 2019. 03. 14.
- It's been a while since I've posted updates here,
although a lot has been going on:
- My PhD student Julia got her first paper accepted
- I went to
NIPS'18 NeurIPS'18 where, besides
enjoying the usual opportunity of being able to hang out with great
minds, I had the pleasure of appearing on stage
at the closing banquet, playing drums behind some amazing musicians.
This was incredibly fun, even despite having to fight a massively
adversarial drumkit :)
- I gave a tutorial on
reinforcement learning at the yearly Greek Stochastics
meeting in Athens, to a truly fantastic audience. I even managed to get
the award for the best talk of the workshop, which was very surprising
to me given the high quality of the other talks I've attended! 2019. 01. 14.
- Back at UPF after a busy summer and giving an invited
talk at EWRL'18
in good old Lille! Next up is AWRL'18
in Beijing, China. In other news, I'll be serving on the program
committee for COLT'19.
- Busy summer: I'll be visiting Google Brain Zürich
for 3 months starting in July! During the same period, I'll also be
serving as an area chair at NIPS'18,
so not much downtime for me this summer. 2018. 06. 05.
on iterate averaging accepted at COLT'18! You can
also catch me talking about this work at this
workshop at UPF/BGSE and at ISMP'18. 2018. 05. 02.
- Just back from an amazing learning thery
workshop in Montreal! All talks including mine
are now online. 2018.
a recipient of the “la
Caixa” Junior Leader fellowship.
In related news, I'm looking to hire a postdoc, so
please get in touch if interested in doing some (reinforcement)
learning theory in Barcelona! 2018. 03. 22.
- Together with Vicenç, I am co-organizing
on Lanzarote (Canary Islands), collocated with AISTATS'18. It's a wonderful
location and, as always, the conference has a fantastic PC, led by the
chairs Mehryar Mohri
Sridharan. Please consider submitting a paper and attending! 2017. 10. 18.
- One paper
accepted at NIPS'17,
thanks to my amazing coauthors: Nicolň, Claudio, and Gábor! 2017.
- Just back from COLT'17 where I
received an award
for my superbly shambolic talk! (Update: video
now online!!) I also gave another talk at the Learning
Theory workshop at FOCM'17.
- Two new papers out! One at COLT'17, another at ICML'17. I'm also set to give talks
at a Deep Learning
Workshop at Google Zürich
and an ICML workshop on Picky
I'm not going to ICML after all, Michal will
replace me at the workshop!). 2017.
- I just came back from a workshop on the "Theoretical
Foundations for Learning from Easy Data" organized at the Lorentz Center
of Leiden (Netherlands). I gave a tutorial on all the known ways of
going beyond worst-case performance guarantees in bandit problems.
Check out the slides here! 2016. 11. 13.
- We are organizing EWRL 2016 on the
weekend preceding NIPS 2016
in Barcelona with Vicenç and Csaba—please submit
your recent work on Reinforcement Learning! 2016.
- All these years of reviewing finally paying off! I
have received an "outstanding reviewer award" from ICML'16 and a "blue ribbon" for
outstanding reviewing from IJCAI'16.
- New year, new papers! One at AISTATS 2016, another in JMLR. In other news, I'm attending the DALI'16 meeting again,
this time invited to speak at the Reinforcement
Learning workshop organized by Csaba and Yasin. 2016.
- Going to NIPS
2015! I have one
paper in the main program and am also invited to give a talk at the
Faster from Easy Data II workshop organized by Tim van Erven and Wouter Koolen.2015.
- This Fall, I will be joining the AI
group at the Universitat Pompeu
Fabra (Barcelona) as a postdoc supported by the UPFellows grant. 2015.
- Two papers accepted! One at COLT 2015, another
at the IEEE
Transactions on Information Theory. Preprints here.
- I will be serving on the program committee for ALT 2015.
It's a very good conference at a beautiful location, so please consider
submitting your work—I'm looking forward to reviewing some good papers!
- I got invited to the DALI'15 workshop on Learning Theory,
organized by Nicolň
Cesa-Bianchi and Ulrike
von Luxburg. 2015.
- I'm spending a few days at the University of Alberta
with my former advisors Csaba
and Andris before going to
NIPS. Also giving a talk about one of my NIPS papers! 2014. 12. 03.
- I gave a talk at the AI
group at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona. Fun times, thanks
for inviting me, Vicenç!
- Talk at the LSOLDM
2014 workshop! I saw some cameras around so there's probably gonna
be a video released soon. 2014.
- Three papers
accepted to NIPS 2014!
Head over to my publications
page to get a glimpse! 2014.
- New website